A US Attorney at law, a US Patent Attorney, and also a Korean Patent Attorney. Represents domestic as well as foreign clients in transaction and litigation of Intellectual Property rights, also counsels on various international agreements, such as licensing agreement, international franchising agreements, Joint venture agreements, distribution agreements, and etc. Mr. Lee has handled a significant number of Intellectual Property litigation cases in multi-jurisdictions including Korea, the US, Germany, and China.
He received a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering at Seoul National University and Juris Doctor degree from Washington University in Saint Louis, School of Law. He also completed extended program of electronic engineering at Soongsil Univeristy. He spent 7 years as a US patent lawyer at Husch Blackwell, LLP in the US before joining Aju Kim Chang & Lee.
- Electronic engineering
o Control engineering
o Human body electronic system and device
- Semiconductor engineering
o Semiconductor circuit design
o IO control
o Smart Media Memory Stick
o Multi Media card
o UFS(universal flash storage)
o BM patent
o Audio and Video Codecs Standard Essential Patents (SEPs)
o Baseband Processors
o Artificial Intelligence (AI)
o Block Chain Technologies
o Database Management
- Mechanical engineering
o Construction materials and devices
o Personal devices
o Operating Systems
o Hardware Technologies
o Networking Technologies
o Smartphone Technologies
o Communication protocol
o Local Area Network
o Power Line Communication
o Wireless 2G/3G/4G/LTE Standard Essential Patents (SEPs)
Areas of Practice
- Patent and trademark litigation, prosecution and licensing;
patent and trademark infringement evaluations and product clearance;
franchising; international business and trade agreements; online privacy compliance
- Patent & trademark (inbound & outbound)
- Patent/trademark infringement lawsuit
- Patent examination and international lawsuit
- Licensing agreement, international franchising & consulting of international business contract
- Patent infringement lawsuit and invalidation judgment about capsule endoscope (intromedic) Korea, German and USA
- US patent infringement lawsuit related to dual band wireless data modem (cmotech) : Novatel Wireless, Inc. v. Franklin Wireless, Inc.
- TechRadium, Inc. v. AtHoc, Inc., et. al. (method for providing digital notification)
- US infringement of patent lawsuit related to vibration absorber of industrial refrigerator
- US Trade Dress lawsuit related to mark pen (alphacolor)
- US Trademark litigation - Hyundai Mobis Co., Ltd. vExxonmobil Oil Corp.
- Korea patent litigation - Konami Kabushikigaisha v. Andamiro Co., Ltd. (DDR v. Pump-It-Up, arcade game apparatus)
- Korea patent litigation - Handan BroadInfoCom v. ADT Co., Ltd. (device for receiving satellite broadcast)
- Korea patent litigation - C&C Ent. Co., Ltd. v. Smartro Co., Ltd. (security module for smart card readers)
Education & Career
- Soongsil University (B. Sc. in Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering)
- Seoul National University,
(B. Sc. in Civil Engineering)
- Washington University School of Law
(J.D. in Law)
- Husch Blackwell, LLP, U.S., associate lawyer (2005-2010)
- Korean Patent Attorney
(admitted to Korean Patent Bar)
- US Attorney at law (admitted to Missouri Bar)
- US Patent Attorney (admitted to U.S. Patent and Trademark Office)
- Adjunct Professor, Yonsei University, Graduate School of Law
- KPAA (Korean Patent Attorneys Association)
- INTA (International Trademark Association)
- AIPLA (American Intellectual Property Law Association)
Books and Publications
- Patent and trademark litigation, prosecution and licensing; patent and trademark infringement evaluations and product clearance; franchising; international business and trade agreements; online privacy compliance
- “Drafting and Interpreting U.S. Patent Claims,” Hanbit Intellectual Property Center, 2005.
- “Functional Limitations in Patent Claims,” Patent & Trademark, 2007.
- “Review of Trademark Issues in Online Open Market Business,” Knowledge and Rights, Fall 2008.
- A Study on Application of Privilege Rules for Discovery during Patent Infringement Lawsuit - Patent Infringement Opinions Rendered by Foreign Counsel -, 2011, and etc.